Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tomatillo Sauce

Am I the only person who thought that tomatillos were just small, green tomatoes? I went to the grocery store planning to buy the ingredients for tomatillo sauce, and while discussing this plan with my boyfriend Gary in the produce section, I was interrupted by a helpful woman who pointed to the real tomatillos in their odd green husks.



Gary glanced up from my smartphone, where he was looking over the recipe just long enough to laugh at me. I bought the ingredients last weekend, but luckily they held out until this Sunday, when I finally put them all together. This was a surprisingly simple and delicious recipe. I altered the ingredient list a little, in part because I hate cilantro.

Ingredients:
4 Tomatillos
1/2 White Onion, chopped
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Sugar
1 Serrano Pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1/4 Tsp Salt

I cut the tomatillos in half and set them face down on a sheet of foil on top of a cookie sheet. I baked them at 350 degrees for 7 minutes. I chopped them up and added them to the rest of the ingredients in the food processor. Whir!



I served it on top of baked chicken breasts with brown rice and lentils, with some steamed broccoli on the side to add a little more to the veggie meter.

For once Gary was actually willing to eat something that I cooked, and he loved the tomatillo sauce. I'm a good cook, I swear, but a lot of my diet dishes either 1) contain cauliflower, which Gary hates, or 2) have so few calories that his hummingbird metabolism cannot survive. Tonight, for example, he added a baguette to his meal in order to up the calorie count. If I had the foresight to take a picture of my meal before I devoured it, I would post that. Instead, let's pretend that the dish I made was this pretty:

No comments:

Post a Comment