Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chicken Shawarma with Spaghetti Squash


I'm cutting all non-muffin carbs out of my diet. That means no more rice, not even brown rice. I haven't had pasta in a long time, so that's not really a sacrifice, but I will miss the rice.

Tonight I decided to make my chicken shawarma recipe, but I had to find a way to do it without the rice. I decided to go back to an old favorite, spaghetti squash.



I've used spaghetti squash before in previous recipes like Spaghetti Squash Marinara, Spaghetti Squash Stir Fry, and Chicken Curry. I may try the recipe with cauliflower rice at some point.

If you don't know how to prepare spaghetti squash, see one of those other recipes. I actually had some pre-prepared squash sitting in the freezer, so I used that tonight and prepared it very much the same way I cook the brown rice. I put the strands in a pot of boiling hot water mixed with chicken broth and a little bit of curry powder, threw in some lentils, turned it down to medium heat, and let it cook until the water was gone.



After that I followed my original Chicken Shawarma recipe. The end result was actually delicious, which surprised me. I didn't expect a low carb dish to taste so good! The spaghetti squash with lentils also made a pretty good side dish by itself to replace the rice I normally eat with the tomatillo chicken. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment