Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cauliflower Rice Fail

Today I discovered that it is not always a good idea to replace rice with Cauliflower Rice. I may have reached the limits of my creativity. I made a version of my mother's Spanish Rice recipe, which I have made using brown rice with great success, and replaced the brown rice with cauliflower rice. It isn't bad, but it isn't great, and it certainly doesn't taste like the same dish. My apartment smells just awful; Gary has taken to hiding in his office, grumbling about onions and cauliflower. I'm still going to be eating it for the next 3 days at work (my poor co-workers!) because I'm not about to waste food, but I wonder what would be a better substitute? Have they started making tofu rice somewhere yet? Once I get this figured out I will post the spanish rice recipe, which is still pretty healthy with the brown rice (unless you are avoiding all non-muffin carbs, as I am).

For now I will save the cauliflower rice for dishes like the delicious low calorie Chicken Curry. I have some in reserve in my fridge right now, but that is destined to become a "pizza" with cauliflower dough. Sounds tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment