Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cauliflower "Rice"

On what is essentially a low carb diet, I have been forced to become more creative. I found an alternative to potatoes (mashed cauliflower) and pasta (tofu noodles or spaghetti squash), but I still needed something to replace rice in order to make my favorite, chicken curry. I tried the curry with spaghetti squash, and that was alright, but now I have a new alternative: cauliflower "rice".

One head of cauliflower (makes 2.5 cups of "rice) contains 66 calories and 14 grams of carbohydrates and should serve 4-5 people; the same amount of steamed white rice contains 422 calories and 91.8 grams of carbohydrates.

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
1 food processor

Directions:
Process fresh, raw cauliflower until it is the size of rice. If you don't have a food processor you can shred it with a hand-held grater, or even use a knife if you have enough patience to cut it very finely.

Microwave it in a covered dish for 1-2 minutes; do not add water. You may want to add some butter or spices, but that is entirely up to your preference.

Then, if you are like me, pour on the curry mixture and enjoy!

1 comment: