Monday, January 11, 2010

The Holidays

I didn't fall off the wagon so much as leap gleefully off of it. I decided to take a small vacation from my diet over my 2 week holiday break, and while I generally ate pretty healthy foods, I allowed myself a few indulgences. I must have developed better habits than I thought because although I certainly did not lose weight during my hiatus, I didn't gain much either - just 3 pounds. I am now back to my fighting weight and ready to move right along.

This seems to be the time of year when everyone starts working out again and goes on a new diet. I've never been a big fan of New Year's Resolutions. If you are committed to self improvement, why should that happen only once a year? Too many people slack off after a couple of weeks or a month, and by February they are up to their old tricks. I've been working on changing a lot of things in the last 6 months, both physically and mentally. I want to be more positive and energetic and less critical or judgmental. I want to be less self-centered in general and ask more questions instead of always talking about myself (kind of ironic when written in a blog that's all about me). Of course, I would also like to be healthier and more active and lose weight. One of my goals is to start working out more, which is harder for me during the winter. I just moved and miss my old running trail through the woods.

The main goal is to be able to accomplish these things without stressing out about any of them; I have enough of that every day! I tend to be an anxious person, so I think it's important to focus and remember: "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" This is one of my favorite bible verses, and a good one to keep in mind; what will you accomplish by worrying? I need to embroider it on a pillow or hang it on my wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment