Thursday, July 8, 2010

Weight Watchers

Originally I started with the Cookie Diet back in August of 2009. I lost 40 pounds, but felt that the diet wasn't sustainable over a long period of time; that's my excuse for now anyway. In January of this year I took a break from the diet, but still ate healthy food, maintaining my lower weight. I then started counting calories (1400 a day) and working out more. While I am more strong and muscular and am in better shape, I have not lost more weight. I have been able to maintain my final weight after what I lost last fall, but no more. This is seriously frustrating.

So, I have decided that this whole calorie counting thing isn't working, and I've joined Weight Watchers online. I've paid for 3 months, and will continue with it if I see any results. I'm allowed to eat 27 points a day, and for the most part a point is worth about 50 calories, so that's about 1350 calories a day. I get 35 "flex points" a week that I can use anytime (if I want to). I also get points for working out, although I haven't had to dip into any of those yet. I started all of this on Tuesday. Saturday will be my first Weight Watchers weigh in. Keep your fingers crossed that I've lost *any* weight at all!

I also decided to try to run a 5K (3.1 miles) this fall. I haven't chosen one yet, but I have a few friends who are willing to run it with me; we're looking for something in or around October when the Texas heat calms down a bit. Otherwise, heat stroke. I have stopped trying to run for speed and have started trying to run for distance. Last week I ran 2.5 miles at 5 mph; this week I ran 2.75 miles at 5 mph. I am going to try to do the same this weekend, and then attempt a full 3 miles next week. Yikes. My legs hurt so much right now, between weight lifting and running, that I can hardly imagine doing this regularly, but it will be good for me. After I get used to running the full 3.1 miles without stopping, I am going to start trying to improve my speed. Right now I can run 6 mph for one full mile, a 10 minute mile; I'm hoping I can work my way up to maintaining that speed for the full 3 miles before the 5K rolls around.

Blah. All of this is going to be a lot of work and will take about all of the self discipline I have. *Sad Face*

No comments:

Post a Comment