Sunday, September 13, 2009

Low Calorie Broccoli Salad

This is a delicious, low calorie way to make your vegetables more palatable. As a side dish this should serve about 6. The entire dish has 270 calories (if you don't add raisins), which should come to about 45 calories per serving.

It is a bit sweet, which
didn't sound like a good idea to me when combined with broccoli and bacon, but I really like it.

Ingredients:


1 head broccoli
4 to 6 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup raisins or craisins, optional (ew)
1/2 cup fat free grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fat free Miracle Whip
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup splenda (or 6+ packets)

Directions:

Trim off the large leaves from the broccoli stem. Remove the tough stalk at the end and wash broccoli head thoroughly. Cut the head into flowerets and dispose of the stem. Place in a large bowl. Add the crumbled bacon, onion, raisins if using, and cheese. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, stirring well. Add to broccoli mixture and toss gently

In order to make this an entree rather than a side dish, add 6 ounces of diced, cooked, cooled chicken (+100 calories) or canned chicken.

I created this recipe based on one I found and altered. The original higher calorie recipe can be found here on Paula Deen's recipe website.

Unfortunately I didn't take a picture until I was to the leftovers stage (again), but this is what it looks like. I should probably work on my presentation....

No comments:

Post a Comment