Thursday, August 26, 2010

Low Calorie Pizza with Cauliflower Dough


That's right, low calorie "pizza" in which the dough is made out of cauliflower. I found this recipe on the Ex Hot Girl's blog, and thought I would try it out. I actually did a lower calorie version than the one she posted. It didn't taste exactly like pizza - the crust was like a thick omelet - but it was still really good!

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
1 cup egg white beater
2 cups weight watchers reduced fat cheese
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 cup low carb pizza sauce (I made my own)
toppings (I used diced, cooked chicken and turkey pepperoni)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a cookie sheet or large casserole dish with non-stick spray.

In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and 1 cup of mozzarella. Pour and press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with spices. Bake the "dough" at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).

Remove the pan from the oven. On top of the crust add sauce, then toppings and the remaining cheese.

Place briefly back into the oven until cheese is melted.

The original recipe uses regular mozzarella and a whole egg. In that version of the recipe, the crust is only:

434 calories
25g fat
8 net carbs (13 total)
5g fiber
41g protein (Check out that protein count!)

Not counting the sauce and toppings you choose to use, that's only 109 calories per serving and 2 net carbs. I haven't recalculated using the changes I made, but it would definitely be under 100.

However, I was unable to convince my boyfriend Gary to try it. He is planning to wait to enjoy my cooking when I return to "normal" food. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment